Image Map

Sunday, April 24, 2011

In Stiches: A Memoir Review & Giveaway

Links provided may be from affiliate programs which help support this blog. Thanks for clicking!
 In Stitches

In Stitches: A Memoir (Gallery Books (a division of Simon & Schuster), 2011) by Anthony Youn, MD with Alan Eisenstock tells the life-story of the author on his journey to become a man and a plastic surgeon. In Stitches will be available for purchase on April 26, 2011.

Here is the synopsis of the book from  In Stitches:
Scrubs meets David Sedaris in this hilarious fish-out-of-water memoir about a young Korean-American nerd turned renowned plastic surgeon.

Dr. Tony Youn grew up one of two Asian-American kids in a small town where diversity was uncommon. Too tall and too thin, he wore thick Coke-bottle glasses, braces, Hannibal Lecter headgear, and had a protruding jaw that one day began to grow, expanding to an unthinkable, monstrous size. After high school graduation, while other seniors partied at the beach or explored Europe, Youn lay strapped in an oral surgeon’s chair where he underwent a life-changing jaw reconstruction. Ironically, it was this brutal makeover that led him to his life’s calling, and he continued on to endure the four horrific, hilarious, sex-starved, and tension-filled years that eventually earned him an M.D. Offering a window into a side of medicine that most people never see, Youn shares his bumpy journey from a shy, skinny, awkward nerd into a renowned and successful plastic surgeon.

Now, Youn is the media’s go-to plastic surgeon. He appears regularly on The Rachael Ray Show, and his blog, Celebrity Cosmetic Surgery, is widely read and the most popular blog by a plastic surgeon in the country. But it was a long road to success, and In Stitches recounts Dr. Youn’s misfit adolescence and his four tumultuous years in medical school with striking wit, heart, and humility.

For anyone who has ever experienced the awkward teenage years, who has struggled to find his or her way in college, who has been worried that their “calling” would never come, who wants to believe that their doctor really cares, or is just ready for a read that will make you laugh and cry at the same time, this book is for you.
I was given an advanced uncorrected proof of In Stitches: A Memoir to read, I am not sure if anything has change from the copy that I received but I absolutely loved this book. I couldn't put it down, or I should say I didn't want to put it down--but I have a 4 year old so...I read the entire thing in the span of the day--granted I read until almost 1 am--but as I said I loved this book. The book is extremely well written and real. I found myself laughing out loud at times and I just kept wanting to figure out what would happen to Tony next. It is pretty amazing how much he went through to become who he is today--a world renown plastic surgeon--his journey to get to where he is today is not at all as glamorous as one might expect it to be. My educational background & work experience is in nursing (I really enjoyed the deleted scenes from the In Stitches website, especially the one called "Who's the Boss? Part 2)--I worked many years in a teaching hospital so I could understand much of the medical student occurrences but what I really related to was the personal growth that he went though, the things lots of people go through regardless of career path.

I would recommend In Stitches: A Memoir by Anthony Youn MD with Alan Eisenstock to anyone who wants a entertaining, humorous read with real life experiences within and in the end a bit of inspiration and relief.
 
Would you like to win a copy of this book?
Giveaway will end at 8pm on Sunday, May 15th
Winner chosen by Random.org
Winners responsible for supplying shipping info.
U.S. entries only

Want to win?
Tell me why you want to read this book?.
Like In Stitches on Facebook
*Subscribe To My Daily Feed
*Friend Me On Facebook
*Follow me on Twitter

Thank you to In Stitches for my sample used in this review and for the winners prize.  Opinions are honest.  Review by Michelle.

Don't miss the freebies, coupons, and deals, Subscribe Now!

43 comments:

Linda Kish said...

I have been a nurse for almost 40 years. I don't understand the need for people to change the way they look for cosmetic reasons. Accept what you are. Aging is a part of life. I like to read about the weird stories of those who are fanatical about their plastic surgeries.

lkish77123 at gmail dot com

Linda Kish said...

I am an RSS subscriber

lkish77123 at gmail dot com

Roseann K. said...

Newsletter subscriber. Thanks!

Roseann K. said...

Facebook fan! Thanks!

Unknown said...

This book looks interesting. I'd like to read it. I've never had plastic surgery but enjoy watching specials on TV about it...good and bad Tiffypoot @ (aol.com)

Unknown said...

I "like" them on facebook ..tiffypixie ...Tiffypoot @ (aol.com)

Unknown said...

I subscribe by RSS in my feed reader - FeedDemon. Tiffypoot @ (aol.com)

Unknown said...

I "like" you on facebook - tiffypixie -Tiffypoot @ (aol.com)

Unknown said...

I follow you on twitter
@tiffypixie
Tiffypoot @ (aol.com)

pmj said...

your review of this book makes me want to read iT!
pjames330 at aol dot com

pmj said...

fb fan of in stitches
pjames330 at aol dot com

pmj said...

subscriber
pjames330 at aol dot com

Unknown said...

I would like to read this book as the medical field always has interested me and this book would give me an insight on plastic surgery.

Anneliz702@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

I like In Stitches on FB as Anne Loyd.

Anneliz702@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

I subscribe to blog emails.

Anneliz702@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

I friended you on FB as Anne Loyd.

Anneliz702@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

I follow you on Twitter as Anneliz702.

Anneliz702@hotmail.com

pmj said...

voted

pjames330 at aol dot com

pmj said...

voted
pjames330 at aol dot com

pmj said...

voted

pjames330 at aol dot com

slb3334 said...

It looks like an interesting book.

slb3334@gmail.com

Erin Cook said...

I would like to read this book because it about a real person and his life experiences
cookster77@aol.com

Erin Cook said...

like stitches on facebook Erin Cook
cookster77@aol.com

Erin Cook said...

subscribe to your feed via google reader
cookster77@aol.com

Erin Cook said...

follow you on twitter @cooks1978
cookster77@aol.com

Erin Cook said...

friend you on facebook Erin Cook
cookster77@aol.com

Miranda Ward said...

looks like a great read!


freebiegoddess03@aol.com

saturdaynightfever said...

I love to read non-fiction!

edgenemmers@gmail.com

degood said...

I think this would be great for a summer read. I like funny non-fiction books.

kerrie@mayansfamily.com

degood said...

I follow you on twitter as kmayans

kerrie@mayansfamily.com

degood said...

I follow your rss feed in google reader.

kerrie@mayansfamily.com

Anonymous said...

I am always looking for good books and this one sounds like one I would enjoy.
ape2016(at)aol(dot)com

Anonymous said...

like them on FB
april yedinak

Anonymous said...

email subscriber

Anonymous said...

fb follwer
april yedinak

Deadmonkeys90 said...

i wanna read it because it sounds inspiring!
deadmonkeys90@yahoo.com

Deadmonkeys90 said...

fb fan of stitches
deadmonkeys90@yahoo.com

cman said...

It sounds like an interesting read.

cman said...

I'm an email subscriber.

lilyk said...

I want to read this book because it sounds very interesting!

Anonymous said...

I want to read the book because it sounds very interesting. garrettsambo@aol.com

lilyk said...

I subscribed to your feed.

lilyk said...

I follow you on Facebook under the username likwan.

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved. | Copyright © My City Mommy LLC 2009 All Rights Reserved