Founders of the Tinkering School (founded in 2005 "to explore the notion that children could learn by building real things using real tools and real materials"), Gever Tulley along with support of Julie Spiegler, have taking what they have learned over the years and their unique philosophy to teaching--"Teach your children about safety by exposing them to risk"--and created a activity book to help you do just that. Their activity book is called, 50 Dangerous Things (you should let your children do).
Here is the synopsis from the back cover of 50 Dangerous Things (you should let your children do) (New American Library (part of Penguin Group, Inc), May 2011) by Gever Tulley and Julie Spiegler:
Reclaiming Childhood for You and Your Children
What's growing up without a little danger? In today's world. where children are helmeted, strapped in, and kept away from any possible threat, Gever Tulley offers a radical concept for parents:
Teach your children about safety by helping them learn to navigate risk.
In 50 Dangerous Things, you will find plenty of exciting ways for your children to explore the world around them. With fun facts and easy-to-follow instructions that guide you through such childlike challenges as playing with fire and mastering the somersault, this book will inspire the whole household to embrace a little danger.
Includes:
- ACTIVITIES, LIKE DECONSTRUCTING AN APPLIANCE
- SKILLS, LIKE WALKING A TIGHTROPE
- PROJECTS, LIKE MELTING GLASS
- EXPERIENCES, LIKE TASTING ELECTRICITY
And if you are wondering why you should let your child take apart an appliance or walk a tightrope, there's a whole section explaining the merits of every topic.
I have to admit, I am a bit of an over-protective mom, so I was a bit apprehensive when I saw the title of this book, but as I was paging through it, I could really see the potential benefits to working through these activities with a child. My son is a bit young (in my opinion), at 4, for most of these activities but there are a few that we can try out--like master the perfect somersault, learn tightrope walking, throw a spear or sleeping in the wild. As he gets older, I am sure he will get huge benefits out of trying out more and more of these activities--it is just the type of kid he is--very curious and if I don't help him do things in a more controlled environment, he will just do it on his own anyway, so why not make it into bonding time and a great learning experience.
50 Dangerous Things (you should let your children do) is a great book full of projects that will teach your kids much more than they could ever get from a text book--especially kids like mine who learn better hands on! Be sure to check out the 50 Dangerous Things
to discover more!
Thank you to 50 Dangerous Things for my sample used in this review. Review by Michelle.
Don't miss the freebies, coupons, and deals, Subscribe Now!

No comments:
Post a Comment