Image Map

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Cup of Cold Water

Links provided may be from affiliate programs which help support this blog. Thanks for clicking!


The Chosen Daughters series of historical fiction by various authors that tell they stories of ordinary young women, who by the grace of God, accomplish extraordinary things. There are now 5 books in this series:
*Wings Like a Dove: The Courage of Queen Jeanne d'Albret 
*Dr. Oma: The Healing Wisdom of Countess Juliana von Stolberg 
*Against the Tide: The Valor of Margaret Wilson 
*A Cup of Cold Water: The Compassion of Nurse Edith Cavell 
*Weight of a Flame: The Passion of Olympia Morata 

I was able the read, A Cup of Cold Water: The Compassion of Nurse Edith Cavell (P&R Publishing, 2007), written by Christine Farenhorst. It is the story of Edith Louisa Cavell, which takes place in 20th Century Belgium around the time of World War I. Here is the synopsis from the back of the book:

Cheerful in Duty, Courageous in Danger, Compassionate in Service 

“The secret password is yorc,” the princess whispered. Edith longed for her girlhood in England, when her secrets had been kept safe by her dog Reddie. But now in God’s timing, Edith is director of a nursing school in Belgium. Caught in the turmoil of World War I, Edith finds herself surrounded by enemy spies. As a nurse protected by the Red Cross, will Edith turn her back on the allied soldiers who desperately need her help?

Though written for girls ages 8-16, I enjoyed A Cup of Cold Water. I though the author did a great job of mingling fact and fiction into a wonderful, readable and inspirational story. This book has a strong Christian belief system woven through it, including multiple biblical references (NKJV, I think), which I personally enjoyed. I do recommend this book (and I am guessing the others in the series would be excellent as well) to young women, I think they will find it enjoyable (without being preachy) and I hope it leaves them inspired and motivated to do the right thing and be good to others regardless of the situation.

 Thank you to P&R Publishing for my samples used in this review, opinions are honest, review by Michelle.

Don't miss the freebies, coupons, and deals, Subscribe Now!

No comments:

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved. | Copyright © My City Mommy LLC 2009 All Rights Reserved