Image Map

Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Summer Train by Susan Rabin

Links provided may be from affiliate programs which help support this blog. Thanks for clicking!


**I received this sample in the hopes that I would share my honest opinion of this product, no compensation was received. Review by Michelle


May is Mental Health Month and to honor that Susan Rabin recently released her newest book, a novel, The Summer Train: A Woman's Journey from Desperation to Celebration. 

Do you believe that a Smile is often a Mask for Secrets, Anxiety or even Pain? I would have to say yes, and here's why. Mental illness is confusing, scary and all too real, currently affecting about 450 million people worldwide. It's time to educate ourselves on this growing epidemic.

The Summer Train, tells a story of one woman’s frightening journey as she becomes unraveled, battles abuse, finds a diagnosis and support and overcomes demons during a time when mental illness was even less understood and not at all accepted.

This book will  discuss:
  • What is bi-polar disorder & how is it different from other mental illnesses
  • Why she thinks the world differentiates mental illness from physical illness
  • How she hid her illness from family and friends and why she eventually got help
  • How she informed her family about her illness
  • The obstacles our society has overcome in thirty years when it comes to mental health
  • Overcoming shyness: identify your stumbling blocks to flirting, dating and mating
  • How to deal successfully with the fear of rejection & loneliness
  • How to improve your conversational and listening skills and body language
  In a very self-centered and materialistic world, Sandra finds the strength to face her mental illness, marital infidelity and emotional abuse.  The Summer Train also addresses the following themes:
  • What is “The Summer Train”
  • The human traits of friendship, their importance and how they differ with those of love
  • How labels can paralyze a person or society 
  • Background and class does not prevent mental illness 
  • How to manage mental illness and lead a productive life
  • Far reaching impact of emotional and verbal abuse
  • The reasons for most cases of infidelity
  • The inception of women’s liberation movement and impact on character
  • The different roles of women today that are a result of women’s lib
  • How everyone pretends in one way or another 
  • How smiling and social skills helped Sandra blend in
This is probably one of the most moving books I have ever read. My family has a strong family history of depression. It wasn't something you talked about. So I do believe a Smile can mask many things. This is truly an amazing book that I will pass on to my aunt and my mother. Mental illness has come a long way. I personally am so glad more people understand it now. Depression isn't just something that you go shopping at it's cured. Trust me I lived with my mother who has had it her entire life. This was a very emotional book for me. I could relate to so many topics. It is a book that I highly recommend. 

Don't miss the freebies, coupons, and deals, Subscribe Now!

No comments:

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved. | Copyright © My City Mommy LLC 2009 All Rights Reserved