When I was in school reading was not something that interested me at all. My Mother went as far as to hire tutors to get me interested and even that did not work. Now, 30 plus year later, I have a second grader who would live at the library if we would let her. Our school does the AR program and to date she is the top point earner for the entire school (k-8th) I believe at the last count she has read and tested over 350 books.
Her love for reading started in kindergarten and while we knew she could read some sight words we did not know just how fluent she was until she was asked to read a passage at church. After I asked the teacher how long it took for her to memorize it and I was told she had only be given the material that week. I was shocked since it was basically a page of material with words that honestly I may stumble through.
Three nights a week she goes to the library after school and brings home a stack of books. This is just what she read last night by herself before going to bed. I never understood where her interest in reading came from until I had the chance to look at Raising A Rock-Star Reader. It was then that I realized without even knowing it, my husband and I have been helping her develop a lifelong love of reading.
A few tips that we have incorporated come right from the book: (tips curtsy of Scholastic)
- Pack books with you. Picture books in a carry-on or maybe an e-reader filled with a series are waiting to be devoured. If you don’t pack it they can’t read it, so make room for books in your bag!
- Listen to an audio book on a road trip. This is a fun way to “read” a book together as a family.
- Plan ahead and read a book that has been made into a film before your trip and watch it on the trip. After you are done watching don’t forget to compare the book to the film adaptation.
- Read yourself. Being a reading role model is not optional, it’s something we as parents must do. Amy and I can’t stress this enough, it’s really important. You don’t have to be reading War and Peace to be a good role model. Just be an example of someone who reads for fun.
Don't miss the freebies, coupons, and deals, Subscribe Now!

No comments:
Post a Comment