In just a few days our daughter will be turning 10 and while I don't like to think about her growing up, the fact remains she is. We have had several talks about what she can expect to happen to her over the next few years, but they have been vague and meant more as a what is coming rather than an in depth education.
Now with the help of Bunk 9's Guide to Growing Up we have a book that is written with girls ages 8-12 in mind. Designed to look like a composition notebook this guide covers everything girls want and need to know. Told from the perspective of nine girls each twelve years old who shared Bunk 9 at Camp Silver Moon one summer.
Topics covered include:
- Puberty
- Hygiene
- Breasts
- Menstruation
- Boys
- Health
- Feelings
Over the weekend I read this book not only for this post but also to help me decide if our daughter is ready for this information. I like how the book is written from girls to girls, it is honest and detailed. I found all the girl information to be understandable and the illustrations to be appropriate and helpful. From that aspect I have no doubt that we will be reading through this book together.
As for the section on boys and crushes I found this to be a little more advanced than our daughter is ready for now. There are detailed images of boys and their anatomy throughout the various stages of puberty, like the girl section of the book this section is detailed, accurate and written in a way that kids in this age range will understand. The same applies for crushes, although I will admit I am old fashioned and wish they would have left to this just boy/girl crushes rather than including same sex attraction. I think the way it is written is going to leave some kids with more questions than answers and if the parents have not read this section they may be in for a surprise when they are asked.
I believe that Bunk 9's Guide to Growing Up is a must for both parents and girl's. It will answer most if not all of your daughter's questions and even bring up a few topics that might slip your mind.


No comments:
Post a Comment