OK, time for a serious read. How to Raise a Drug Free Kid-the straight dope for parents by Joseph A. Califano Jr.
A child who reaches age twenty-one without smoking, using illegal drugs, or abusing alcohol or prescription drugs is virtually certain never to do so. Furthermore, teenagers who learn about the risks of drugs and alcohol from their parents are twice as likely never to try them.
I truly hate to admit this but this book makes me sick to my stomach. I thumb through it and instantly it makes me want to keep my children safe. It makes me think to myself can I shelter them more. Can I be more involved in what they do. Am I being naive? It's a scary world out there. More parents need to be involved.
Here is some vital information I think we all need to be aware of:
With the legalization of recreational drugs—namely marijuana—in Colorado and Washington and as other states, cities, and countries (most recently Uruguay and Jamaica) have announced plans to decriminalize its use, the increased dangers and addictive power of ever-more-potent marijuana (including the easy availability of synthetic marijuana, a destructive substance called Spice), remain a highly conversional issue. While polls show that most Americans now favor legalization to some degree, not all share the same sentiment. Pope Francis recently condemned decriminalization, calling drug addiction “an evil” while Canada remains wary of legalization in fear of drug smuggling across the border.
On the home front, where New York will be the next state to legalize medical marijuana, nearly every child in the United States will be offered drugs or alcohol before graduating high school, and excessive drinking and prescription drug abuse is common at most colleges. This alone makes me sick.
Califano’s guide to keeping children substance-free (first published in 2009) has been substantially revised and updated to address the challenges faced by TODAY’S kids and parents. Califano can discuss these issues at length such as:
- When and how should I talk to my child about drugs and alcohol?
- Under what circumstances is my child most at risk?
- How do binge drinking and marijuana use threaten the development of my teen’s brain?
- How can I help my child handle the glamorization of drinking and drug use on social media, the Internet, and television?
- How do I help my child deal with the substance abuse perils on college campuses?
- If my teen needs treatment, how do I find the right program?
Califano
also paints a realistic picture of the world teens confront,
outlines how parents can teach, protect, and empower their
children, and answers the tough questions parents pose to him at
speaking engagements across the country.
Don't miss the freebies, coupons, and deals, Subscribe Now!


No comments:
Post a Comment